Is it time to take a step back to focus on you?
...and your project and career, with expert guidance in an inspirational setting...
Summer Dates Closed... Winter Dates Coming Soon
What is the next big step you need to take with your project?
- From idea to killer ten-page outline?
- From first draft to a page-turning second draft?
- From final draft to, you know, final-final draft with an unbelievably slick polish?
Join Bob Schultz or (AND!!!!) Lucy V. Hay for a five day retreat in the Cotswolds and take the Next Big Step, guided and supported by them.
Choose Your Mentor
We are running two reatreats, back to back. The first with Bob Schultz, the second with Lucy V Hay. Technically, if you are hardcore, you can do both and have a two day break in the Cotswolds inbetween!
So. “A LondonSWF Retreat!?” I hear you say.
Well yes, but so much more. You can expect something magical. We are after all running it in paradise!
Focussing on YOUR next BIG step for your script and career, you will get one-on-one coaching, group support and training, that big blue sky to inspire you, and a magical landscape to explore.
You will have time to wander and imagine – as well as experience the intensity of being challenged creatively. You choose your own pace.
The retreat is run in Miserden, a tiny village in the heart of the Cotswolds and a time capsule itself.
Our retreats are fuelled by the momentum of a peer group environment, with highly structured days, time to write and imagine, with just the right amount of downtime to unwind, drink, eat and share.
All the days are hyper focussed on YOU and YOUR writing.
Designed with YOU in mind, created to help YOU take that next enormous step forward, committed to YOUR breakthroughs… It promises to be an unforgettable escape into imagination and creativity, with a community of like-minded DREAMERS and DOERS.
‘A real January boost! I loved the venue, the connectivity, and the food! The accessibility to facilitators. The space to devote to my writing and co-attendees. I feel confident about my work, which has allowed me to look back at some other projects with renewed enthusiasm.’
Kayla Lichten // Writer ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Typical Day Schedule
- 8:30am to 9:30am Breakfast and meet and greet with your retreat leaders… eat well and share time getting mentoring and chatting with other writers. We supply breakfast daily.
- 10am to 10.30am Seminar with the retreat leader… designed to trigger immediate action.
- 10.30am to 1pm writing period… can be done alone or in small groups with the retreat leader on hand for help and support. Snacks and tea and coffee always on hand.
- 1pm Lunch… We supply lunch each day, or you can bring your own.
- 2pm to 3.30pm… Writing time with one on ones with the retreat leader. Our goal is to help you break the story, deepen characters, improve your pitch, tourniquet the tension, make dialogue sparkle and reduce and refine.
- 3.30pm… Structured break for tea, coffee, snacks and networking.
- 4pm to 6pm… Personal writing time and reflection. Short group walks are offered here too.
- 6pm Group Discussion… where we share, discuss and explore.
- 7:00pm Wrap up with invitiation to all go to a specific local pub for dinner.
* All writers will get several one-on-one mentoring sessions with the retreat leader, scheduled during the writing periods.
* Tea, coffee and snacks are always available.
* You are not obligated to attend ANY structured session if you wish to focus on your writing or exploring the area.
* The daily schedule may change slightly for time of year and light.
What our writers say about the retreat?
James Alexander Allen, Screenwriter // Filmmaker
‘The Miserden Writers Retreat was a relaxing change of energy and the most beautiful place to focus on your writing.’
Roberta Rose, Filmmaker // Producer // Director
‘I loved meeting and connecting with other writers and getting validation for what I am trying to do. I achieved my goal and gained more confidence in my soft skills and script writing ability.’
Alex English // Writer
‘The retreat gave me the space to really focus on one of my projects, hone my logline and reinvigorate my writing. This weekend was epic!’
Jeremy Caine // Screenwriter
‘A mix of space to think and write along with craft sessions and drop-in clinics with Bob. My goal was for the retreat to reboot my creative thinking and writing – it delivered and elevated who and what I am writing about.’
Abbie Heath // Screenwriter
‘It was the most beautiful place to be, spending time with other screenwriters – all of whom were absolutely lovely. I was able to focus properly on my script and got amazing insights into how to fix it from Bob, who is just brilliant. The food was fabulous and just kept coming – and the setting was peaceful, calm and inspiring…’
Julian Chomet // Writer // Director
‘Great location, very welcoming hosts, good to network with other writers and share scripts. If you need to get away from a hectic life to focus on your writing in peace, Miserden Writers Retreat is a great place to do it.’
Read All Feedback HERE
Summer Dates Closed... Winter Dates Coming Soon
Some Nitty Gritty and Where to stay…
The next retreat will be in the Summer and it is likley to be glorious.
The retreat will take place in the spacious village hall in Miserden, which also has an adjacent kitchen. There is ample parking and it takes less than five minutes to walk from one end of the village to the other.
You can co-ordinate with some writers for a house share in the village, each person getting their own room. Or you can find your own accomodation and drive (take cabs). There are stunning local houses to rent in the Cotswolds on AirBnB if you are prepeared to house share. We will put a WhatsApp group together as soon as writers begin to sign up.
NOTE: The cost of attending does not include accommodation.
Your ticket is non refundable BUT you can transfer to another person should you wish. Just let us know.
We will be operating Covid-19 lateral flow tests for everyone to feel safer. You will not be required to wear a mask though you are of course welcome to do so.
The Village Hall has plenty of parking and is located next to the Primary School on the map above. Misrden is VERY small so don’t worry, you can’t miss it.
About Our Retreat Leaders
For more than 20 years, Bob has been training screenwriters, helping thousands of writers clarify their stories, reorganise their ideas and build confidence to bring the very best version of any writer, to the opportunities they create. Expert in story structure, pitching and helping find the commercial heart of your project, but offers insight few others can.
Lucy V Hay
Lucy V. Hay is a script editor, author and blogger who helps writers. She’s been the script editor and advisor on numerous UK features and shorts & has also been a script reader for over 15 years, providing coverage for indie prodcos, investors, screen agencies, producers, directors and individual writers. She’s also an author, publishing as LV Hay and Lizzie Fry; Lizzie’s latest, THE COVEN, is out now with Sphere Books and LV’s debut crime novel THE OTHER TWIN is being adapted by the Emmy-nominated Free@Last TV. Lucy’s site at www.bang2write.com has appeared in Top 100 round ups for Writer’s Digest & The Write Life, as well as been a UK Blog Awards Finalist and Feedspot’s #1 Screenwriting blog in the UK (tenth in the world!).